- Category: IBI Sponsors 2012-2013
The National Bank of Belgium has been Belgium's central bank since 1850. It performs tasks in the general interest at both national and international level.
The National Bank of Belgium is a member of Eurosystems, the European System of Central Banks. The governor of the National Bank, Luc Coene, is a member of the Governing Council, the main decision-making body of the Eurosystem, particularly as regards monetary policy; the National Bank of Belgium participates in the preparation and execution of its decisions.
Apart from monetary policy, the National Bank of Belgium takes on other tasks which can be classified as follows:
- the issuing of euro banknotes
- the printing of euro banknotes and the placing in circulation of euro coins
- the management of foreign currency reserves
- the collection, circulation and analysis of economic and financial information
- the stability of the Belgian financial sector
- the role of financial ambassador to international economic institutions
- services for the Belgian State
- services for the Belgian financial sector
- services for the general public